Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Silence

Silence is the one thing we do not have in America. I think that the best thing I can do for my sanity is just being quiet and alone for awhile. This, of course, is easier said than done. We have televisions everywhere, radios in the car, cellphones, and, of course, computers. I am sure that my five-year-old's battery operated toothbrush came with a basic texting plan. But let us not forget that the Creator tells us to "Be still and know that I am God." We are like so many cattle being herded who knows where, reacting to one deadline after another. Stimuli come with mind-numbing speed. I have really been concerned for my kids lately. This generation is so entertained that they need to learn how to enjoy just being together. Where I had to make up games, build my own toys, and make bombs out of shotgun shells...(scratch that)....we have filled the world with devices that entertain you with the least amount of effort. No need to imagine, it all imagines for you. As adults, we are no better.
I spent twelve hours in the rain yesterday, soaked to my skin. Just part of my job. But, with everyone else in the world staying inside, I worked in almost complete solitude. I think it was one of the best days I have had in a long time. The mind and the spirit both need time to process the bitter and sweet of daily life. Be still and know. Selah.

1 comment:

  1. What a concept. That's why I like living in the country, so very silent.

    ReplyDelete