Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Harmony

I love this guitar. But I do not love tuning it. My Taylor has a really sweet tone....if you tune it properly. There is a proverb somewhere that states,"Guitarists spend half their time playing and the other half tuning." The keyboardists just sigh and wait for the string winding to stop. But, man, I love that sweet sound of new strings tuned to the last harmonic. When I can just play, let myself go, and enjoy that creative release without always focusing on that crazy b string. (What is the deal, here?! Give me that tuner again...) Life is just like that. Ever since God gave man choice, we have had disharmony here. Even on my instrument, if five out of six strings are just right, that sixth one can ruin the whole thing. In my personal journey, I am always tuning something. Paul told us to "work out" our own salvation "with fear and trembling". He was not abdicating forming our own way to God, but warning us that, even with a real experience from God, walking it out is not automatic. Work out what is in you, with fear and trembling. We need to strive carefully, cautious that our inward walk with Christ is not cloaked with outward disharmony. John's first letter tells us that if we do not love the brethren, our love for God is a lie. Easier said than done, hence the fear and trembling part. Tuning our relationships is a lot harder than tuning a guitar, but the harmony achieved is the best part of life on this wayward planet. Well, I better get back to tuning.

No comments:

Post a Comment